Friday, August 28, 2009

Tech Talk

I think I have the coolest job in the world. Sure there are things about it that suck, that's true with any job. The hours are sometimes very long and it's a full time job just keeping this building in one piece...together is probably a more accurate phrase. But the rewards are so much greater, the sense of accomplishment, the closing of one chapter and opening of another. I work with an incredible staff, I have the privilege of collaborating with and learning from other directors, designers, actors and technicians. I can't help but smile when I see the look of excitement on the face of a new volunteer who is swept up in what we do here and is eager to be a part of it. I have the freedom to experiment and try new ideas, but most importantly I have the freedom to dream and create!

I get to see my ideas, my dreams become reality. What starts as words or sketches takes on life here. These dreams become pieces that can be seen, touched and shared with others. Four weeks ago, my dream was in the shape of a small scale model, and now it is full size. In two weeks, the dream will be complete and the show will open (Seussical: September 10 for those keeping score). I often don't sleep at night just thinking about the final product.


Yes, it is a lot of work. Often back breaking and exhausting and although the dream lives only for a brief moment in time, it is worth it. Long ago I accepted as part of what I do, that it only lasts for a short time before it becomes a picture or a memory. What a privilege to make it there!

So much will happen between now and the next time I write here. In that time, one set will have been completed and another started, auditions will have come and gone, rehearsals will have begun for The Woman in Black, collaboration on A Christmas Carol will be under way, the roof will have leaked in some new places and old ones, hundreds of volunteer hours will have been logged, many new faces will have walked through the doors for the first time (hopefully the first of many times). Throw in a few special events, Charlotte Film Society movies and many sleepless nights laying awake...dreaming.

No comments:

Post a Comment