Thursday, September 17, 2009

Volunteer Blog by Courtney Johnson

Hello, I’m Courtney. Three years ago, I auditioned for my very first stage production ever…A Chorus Line, which was being done by Theatre Charlotte. I was so honored to be a part of such a fabulous show and to be able to perform in not only one of my favorite musicals of all times but to be able to perform it on Theatre Charlotte’s stage. I’m currently in my 5th production with Theatre Charlotte. You might have seen me in Smokey Joe’s Café, The Full Monty (Vicki) and I’m currently a Bird Girl in Seussical!

My experience volunteering at Theatre Charlotte has been nothing but glorious! From my first audition to performing on stag
e…it’s become a home away from home. There’s such a talented and passionate group of people involved with Theatre Charlotte. These people pour their hearts and souls into each and every production and put in hundreds of hours of hard labor.

Performing is only one way that I volunteer at TC. I have also helped with the
painting of the sets and striking the sets. I’ve become pretty good with a power drill thanks to theatre. In fact, after The Full Monty, Emily Hunter and I had the job of holding onto the urinals used in the bathroom scene while Chris Timmons unscrewed them from the wall…I have photos of this magical moment and it is hilarious!

It’s truly like working with family when you do a show here. Speaking of family, one of my most favorite things to come out of my volunteer experience with Theatre Charlotte is definitely the life long friendships that I have made. I moved to Charlotte from Orlando 11 years ago and was miserable here until discovering theatre. I am very blessed to have found my new ‘family’ and to be able to share my passion with such incredible people. It’s a wonderful feeling to see so many people give their time to the theatre to bring Art to Life!

1 comment: